Thursday, September 2, 2010

EOC Week 8: Authority



Stefan Sagmeister of Sagmeister Inc. in New York suggested this; “Have the content determine the form.” This is really something that inspires me because it appeals to the style in which I do most things. I add up all of my ideas and place them in the same place and letting all of that determine how it should be put together. A while back I was given the assignment to do a collage for anything of my interest. We’ll my inspiration is always fashion so whatever I choose I design around it.

For that collage I chose to do the assignment on my favorite design house, Dolce & Gabbana. The design came out as an all black background and brightly colorful advertisements. D&G are known for being sophisticated but chaotic, controversial, and unexpected. When I chose all of the advertisements I liked I started playing with the layout, background, and font. As Carlos Segura of Segura Inc. in Chicago points out, “Use the appropriate font for the job, not the best one installed on your computer.” He also said, “Seek opinions.”

The final result of my project was an all black background which emphasized the colors in the D&G ads, colorful and unexpected font I discovered, and the layout was designed as if all these pictures were dropped onto a board. Simply chaotic and beautiful. I was especially proud of this assignment and if I can replicate the same inspiration into this final project I’ll be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment